Can I Use Different Seasonings On The Chicken Legs
Absolutely! Use your favorite premade seasoning blends or create your own blend using the spices with the flavor profiles you enjoy eating.
Some of my favorite spice blends for seasoning these crispy baked chicken drumsticks are Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, old bay, barbecue seasoning and jerk seasoning.
How Long To Bake Chicken Legs
In a 400 degree oven baked chicken drumsticks take about 35 to 45 minutes to cook through depending on their size. Heres the how to for this recipe:
How To Make Baked Chicken Drumsticks:
These oven baked chicken legs are super simple and the seasoning blend is perfect!
Mix together the spices in a small dish.
Add your drumsticks to a plastic bag or large bowl and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle the seasoning on, seal the bag, and mush things around to coat the chicken.
Dump the chicken out onto a baking sheet and bake! The prep work here is so quick!
Don’t Miss: Air Fryer Chicken Recipes Easy
Roast Low And Slow For Tender Chicken
I first used the low and slow technique with my Oven Roasted Chicken Legs and was really pleased with not only the texture of the meat, but the delicious juices that were left in the dish after roasting.
This time I combined the butter with a trio of herbs and slathered it over two bone-in, skin-on split chicken breasts. The breasts were quite large, so I lowered the heat a bit and let them roast even longer before removing the cover to let them brown. The results were even more incredible. I pulled the meat from the breasts after cooking, drizzled the juices over top, and have been snacking on the meat all week.
How Long To Bake Chicken Drumsticks
Depending on the size, and temperature of the oven, baking chicken drumsticks in the oven takes between 45- 60 minutes to bake chicken drumsticks. Another factor that might affect the baking time is where in the oven the tray is placed. It’s best to place the tray on the center rack of the oven where it gets even heat circulation thus cooking the chicken evenly.
Also, cooking chicken drumsticks at a high temperature of 390F to 400F gives the best results as the drumsticks come out juicy, and tender with crispy skin.
How long to bake chicken drumsticks at 400F is 45 minutes.
For how long to bake chicken drumsticks at 375 is 50 minutes
To bake it at 350 will take up to an hour.
Drumsticks are cooked when cut into them the juice runs clear, and the inside is no longer pink. You can also check with a meat thermometer. If the internal temperature at the thickest part is at least 165F, it is cooked.
Don’t Miss: Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs Baking
Why I Love This Recipe
- It is quick and simple to make and with just five key ingredients, whats not to love?
- You dont need to these chicken drumsticks and that makes it a perfect dinner recipe the whole family would love.
- This recipe is oil-free, it is healthy because it is oven-baked.
- Do you own an air fryer? cool as this chicken cooks faster in the little gadget than it would in the oven. Cook on 180C/365F for 30 minutes Check my air-fried honey soy drumsticks for inspiration.
Tips For The Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- If you dont have fresh ginger, use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Periodically, check on the chicken as it cooks. If the marinade seems to be drying up in the baking dish, add about 1/4 cup of chicken broth.
- If the chicken is getting overly dark, you can cover the baking dish loosely with aluminum foil. You can also lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees
- For the honey and soy sauce marinade, I like to press the garlic and the ginger. If your oven runs hot, minced garlic can burn easily.
- The Asian inspired honey soy sauce chicken marinade can be used to marinate chicken breasts, pork chops, pork loin and lamb chops.
You May Like: Recipes With Shredded Chicken Breast
How To Bake Drumsticks
BREAD. Coat each drumstick in the breading mixture , and then place in a 9×13 pan with a little bit of melted butter. Once theyre all breaded and in the pan, spray lightly with the spray butter and then place in the oven.
BAKE. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven, flip each chicken leg, spray with butter once more, and then bake for an additional 15-25 minutes, until theyre as crispy as you want them to be.
Tip: For easy clean up line the cooking pan with aluminum foil.
Can I use other cuts of chicken besides drumsticks? You can easily substitute other cuts. You will just have to adjust the bake times. Bake until juices run clear.
- Thighs: 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes
- Breasts: 375 degree oven for 20 minutes
- Boneless Wings: 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
- Bone-In Wings: 400 degree oven for 45 minutes
More Easy Chicken Recipes Readers Love
- Juicy Chicken Breast The best way to make chicken breast thats juicy, not dry!
- Crispy Chicken Thighs Just as easy as these chicken drumsticks.
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken The slow cooker makes tender, fall-apart chicken with virtually no work. So good!
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings People rave about this one. Theyll be crispiest wings youve ever had.
Also Check: Chicken Thigh In Crock Pot
How To Know If My Chicken Drumstick Is Done In The Oven
The best way to tell if your chicken drumsticks are done is to use an instant-read meat thermometer.
Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the drumstick, away from any bones, and make sure it doesnt touch any bone or fat.
If you dont have a meat thermometer, use this chart as a guide for how long to cook your chicken:
- 160F = White meat is done but dark meat still pink
- 165F = Whiter meat is done but dark meat still pink
- 170F = All white meat is fully cooked
How Long Do You Drumsticks At 400 In The Microwave
It is not recommended to cook chicken drumsticks in the microwave, as they will not come out evenly cooked. If you insist on cooking them in the microwave, it is best to first cook them on the stovetop or oven until they are nearly cooked through, and then finish them off in the microwave. This will help to ensure that they are cooked evenly.
When cooking chicken drumsticks in the microwave, cook them for 2 minutes per side at 50% power. This should be enough time to finish cooking them through without overcooking them. Again, use a meat thermometer to check for doneness, and make sure that the internal temperature of the chicken thigh reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
So there you have it! These are just a few tips on how to cook chicken drumsticks in the microwave. Remember to cook them on the stovetop or oven first, and then finish them off in the microwave, to ensure even cooking. And use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. With these tips in mind, you should be able to perfectly cook chicken drumsticks in the microwave every time!
Don’t Miss: Recipe For Chicken Kabobs On Grill
What Are Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Oven-Baked Chicken Drumsticks are a crispy, spicy, and flavor-bursting dish. It is usually made with skinned chicken drumsticks, basic seasoning powders, and fresh herbs. And it is baked at a high temperature until it turns crispy and golden.
This Baked Chicken Drumsticks recipe is one of the healthy dishes especially when you want to avoid oily fried chicken recipes. You are not only making a healthy dish but also an appetizing dish filled with flavors that you cannot resist.
These Oven Baked Drumsticks are perfect comfort food and taste great with baked potatoes, roasted vegetables, or rice dishes of your choice. And it is also a great kid-friendly dish that your kids may love. But make sure to adjust the spice level, if your kids are not tolerable to spiciness.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs To Make This Recipe
Yes. You can use bone-in chicken thighs as well as legs and wings. When roasting/baking chicken, I prefer to use chicken with the skin-on. The skin serves as a layer of protection to prevent the meat from drying out.
You can make this recipe with bone-in skinless chicken thighs and legs also, but I suggest you baste the pieces once during cooking time.
Bone-in, skin-on chicken breast can be used but the baking time will need some adjustment.
Read Also: Low Carb Chicken Crockpot Recipes
Helpful Tips For The Best Baked Chicken Legs
- Be sure to adequately season with salt in the marinade, we are using several pounds so theyll need a fair amount. The reserved sauce wont need very much.
- Use a dark baking sheet if you have one to encourage browning. Also roast one level up from the center.
- Still every oven is a little different so if you find they havent browned to your liking at the end then simply broil during the last few minutes, just keep a close eye on them.
- I recommend using larger chicken drumsticks here so you get more meat. It will also allow more baking and browning time to use larger ones.
- If you want crispy skin, hold the remaining marinade, if you want even more flavor use the extra reserved marinade .
- Test center of the legs to 165 near bone of thickest portion to ensure theyve cooked through.
- Soak the pan in water for easy clean up.
How To Bake Chicken Drumsticks In Oven
The recipe I have shared here is the Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Drumsticks with a basic seasoning powder. I have used skinned Drumstick which delivers a perfectly crispy and crunchy chicken. But if you are not used to skinned chicken then you could feel free to use skinless drumsticks.
- Prep Seasoning Mix – In a small glass bowl, add garlic, ginger, chili, black pepper powder, dried parsley, and salt. Mix well until everything get combined and reserve the seasoning mix for later use
- Season Drumsticks – In a bowl, add the drumsticks and pour 2 tsp of oil. Give a good mix until the oil coats the drumstick. Add the reserved seasoning mix all over the Drumsticks and add some chopped coriander leaves. Give a nice mix to coat the seasonings
- Transfer to baking tray – Transfer the seasoned Drumsticks into a baking tray with a wire rack. Make sure to line the tray with parchment paper to collect the dripping from the chicken. You can use their dripping to brush the drumsticks
- Bake – Bake the Drumsticks in preheated oven at 400Â° F for 45 to 60 minutes or until the internal temperature reached 170Â° F
- Remove and Serve – Remove the Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks and it is now ready for you to taste and enjoy. Serve this Crispy Chicken Drumstick with brown rice, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus, roasted broccoli, dipping sauce, or other combos of your choice
Don’t Miss: Best Grilled Chicken Recipes Ever
How To Preserve Chicken Drumsticks After Being Baked
If you have any leftover chicken drumsticks, be sure to store them properly in the fridge. First, allow the chicken to cool completely before placing it in a covered container or plastic bag. Then, store in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. When ready to eat, simply reheat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
How Do I Make Crispy Chicken Drumsticks
Add the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and black pepper to a small mixing bowl.
Using a fork, blend the spices together.
Add the olive oil to the spices and blend them together.
- Allow the chicken legs to come to room temperature
- Using a pastry brush coat the chicken legs with the seasoning oil mixture. Make sure to coat the entire drumstick.
- Place the chicken legs in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet, making sure to leave room between the drumsticks.
*To get really crispy skin you need to thoroughly dry the chicken before applying the oil and seasonings. Use paper towels to pat dry the chicken legs. Removing the excess moisture from the skin will allow you to get that perfectly crispy skin.
- Bake the chicken legs for 30 minutes at 400 degrees on the middle rack of your oven.
- Brush the legs with the oil that has gathered on the tray and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, until crispy .
*If you use an instant-read thermometer the internal temperature must be at least 165 degrees. At this temperature and time, they should be well above that internal temp.
When it comes to chicken recipes, simple ingredients tend to yield the best results, making these crispy chicken legs a dish the whole family will love!
Also Check: Chicken Breast Stove Top Recipes
How To Choose The Best Chicken Drumsticks
Now that you know how to bake chicken drumsticks at 400 degrees, its time to learn how to choose the best chicken for your meal. When selecting chicken drumsticks, look for ones that are plump and have moist, shiny skin. Avoid anything that looks dry or has any bruises or blemishes.
Another tip is to check the packaging for a sell by date. You want to make sure that youre using fresh chicken for your meal, so choosing ones with a longer sell by date will help ensure that. And, lastly, try to select chicken drumsticks that are all roughly the same size. This will help them cook evenly and prevent any under or overcooked pieces.
Common Mistakes When Baking Chicken Drumsticks
One common mistake when baking chicken is not using a meat thermometer. This is a crucial step in the cooking process, as it helps to ensure that the chicken is cooked through. Without a meat thermometer, you run the risk of under or overcooking your chicken, which can lead to dry, tough meat.
Another mistake is not lining the baking sheet. This can cause the chicken to stick to the pan and make it difficult to remove. It can also lead to burning and charring on the bottom of the chicken. So, be sure to line your baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper before adding the chicken.
Finally, some people mistakenly believe that they need to cook chicken until it is no longer pink in the center. However, this is not the case. Chicken is safe to eat as long as it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. So, dont overcook your chicken in an attempt to make sure that it is cooked through.
Now that you know how long to bake chicken drumsticks at 400 degrees and how to avoid common mistakes, youre ready to make a delicious meal! Just remember to season the chicken, use a meat thermometer, and line your baking sheet before adding the chicken to the oven. Then, sit back and enjoy your perfectly baked chicken drumsticks!
Also Check: How Hot To Grill Chicken
How Long Do You Bake Drumsticks At 400 In An Air Fryer
Depending on the size of your chicken drumsticks, it will take approximately 10-15 minutes to bake them in an air fryer.
To ensure that they are cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remember to always err on the side of caution and check the chicken sooner rather than later, to avoid overcooking.
Can This Chicken Drumstick Recipe Be Made Ahead
Yes! This super easy dinner recipe can be made ahead.
- Prepare the soy sauce marinade up to 3 days ahead! Keep it stored in a resealable plastic bag or in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You can marinate the chicken and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking so it comes to room temperature before its placed in the oven.
- Leftover baked chicken legs will keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Also Check: Recipe For Whole Grilled Chicken
Baked Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks
These drumsticks can be cooked completely in the oven if you are not grilling. I prefer the grill, but it is not for everyone. After your second coating of barbecue sauce , finish the drumsticks with a high broil for 1-2 minutes each side. The broiler will mimic the flames of the grill and get them caramelized and ready. If you are afraid of your broiler, just crank the heat to 450 for about 5 minutes. Remember, every broiler is different so keep an eye on it.
How To Season Chicken Legs
- Brush with butter. Brush the chicken legs on all sides with melted butter, or drizzle with olive oil or avocado oil if you prefer.
- Season the drumsticks. Sprinkle on the smoked paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
TIP:You can season in the chicken in a large bowl if you prefer. Simply pour the melted butter over the chicken in the bowl, add the seasonings, and toss to coat.
Read Also: Top Chews Chicken And Apple Recall