Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Leaving the skin on the bone-in pieces keeps the meat moist in the oven. If you like, remove the skin from the pieces before eating.
- tip 2 Round out this dinner with creamy mashed potatoes, fresh corn on the cob and warm berry crisp for dessert.
- tip 3 Cutting up your own whole chicken is not only cheaper by the pound but its surprisingly easy. Try it out the next time you make this recipe.
- tip 4 This is a good technique for achieving crispy chicken without dealing with the steps of deep-frying.
- tip 5 For extra crispy chicken, substitute 1 cup Progresso panko crispy breadcrumbs for the flour. Dip the chicken into melted butter before coating with the crumb mixture.
Tips When Cooking Chicken Legs In The Oven
- You dont need to preheat the Oven
- Leave some space between chicken legs so that they can be cooked evenly
- Bake chicken legs at high temperatures will make less chicken meat dry than if you bake at low temperatures .
- You should use a meat thermometer to check if the chicken drumsticks are cooked. The internal temperature is 165°F, and you should test with the thickest chicken legs.
- It would be best if you used foil so that you can easily clean the basket after baking
It can be said that the oven is one of the best ways to cook chicken legs. This method will help you quickly have these chicken drumsticks delicious and dont have to spend a lot of time cleaning up.
Now, you know how to cook chicken legs in the Oven. After reading this article, we hope that you will have delicious chicken legs. Good luck
How Long To Bake Chicken Legs
Chicken legs come in all weights and sizes so adjust the cooking time as needed. Here are the average baking times of chicken legs:
- 4-ounce chicken legs: 20-25 minutes.
- 6-ounce chicken legs: 27-30 minutes.
- 8-ounce chicken legs: 30-32 minutes.
For anything bigger than 8 ounces, bake the chicken for 35 minutes, then continue cooking until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
You May Like: Buffalo Chicken Dip No Blue Cheese
How To Cook Chicken Legs In The Oven
If you are looking for how to cook chicken legs in the Oven. I think you have come to the right place. Because this article is the instruction that you are searching
Oven-roasted chicken drumsticks recipe has a lot of advantages over cooking on the grill or deep- fry, your chicken legs will taste delicious and texture soft on the inside, and crispy on the outside.
You only need to prepare chicken legs and some simple spices. After 40 minutes, you will taste delicious chicken legs for any meal.
Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
I love the simplicity and easiness of this recipe. Chicken legs or drumsticks are bathed in a simple soy sauce chicken marinade and oven baked until perfectly golden brown.
The sweet honey in the marinade caramelizes and melds with the savory umami-rich soy sauce, producing the best tasting, juicy and tender chicken drumsticks! If you choose to bake chicken legs with the skin on, you will get skin that gets beautifully crispy as it holds the flavors of the marinade.
Don’t Miss: Ya Ya’s Flame Broiled Chicken
This Is The Easiest And Best Way To Make Great Baked Chicken Thoroughly Pat The Chicken Pieces Dry With Paper Towels Then Coat Them With Oil And Season Generously With Salt And Pepper We Like To Add A Little Fresh Chopped Rosemary As Well But You Can Substitute Fresh Thyme Or Oregano Bake The Chicken On A Wire Rack On An Aluminum
Since 1966, the editors of Southern Living have been carrying out the mission of the brand: to bring enjoyment, fulfillment, and inspiration to our readers by celebrating life in the South. We inspire creativity in their homes, their kitchens, their gardens, and their personal style. We are a friend they can trust, a guide to the seasons, a helping hand during the holidays, and a relentless champion of the Southern way of life.
How Long Does It Take For Drumsticks To Cook In The Oven
Cooking times for drumsticks vary depending on the oven temperature and cooking method used. However, typically, it takes around 20 minutes for drumsticks to cook in an oven with a moderate setting.
Cooking is a process that takes time. Drumsticks take about 20 minutes to cook in the oven. This means that the cooking process will likely take more time for drumsticks if they are bought fresh from the store than if they are pre-made.
Don’t Miss: Marinate Chicken Wings For Grill
Are Baked Chicken Legs Healthy
Chicken legs are an excellent source of protein and a nutritious and healthy option if prepared in the right way. Baking chicken in the oven is much healthier than fried chicken for sure! If you are following a low-fat diet, remove the chicken skin before eating it. I prefer baking the chicken with the skin on to make sure the meat doesnt dry up however, you can remove it if you prefer. Buying organic chicken without added hormones is always best!
Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken Drumsticks
This post may contain affiliate links.
The secret to these juicy, flavor-packed baked chicken drumsticks is in the marinade! Loaded with Mediterranean flavors including lemon, garlic, oregano, and extra virgin olive oil. This easy chicken dinner is perfect for any night of the week. Add a side of tangy tzatziki sauce, Greek salad, or roasted veggies.
Be sure to watch the video and read the tips below!
Chicken legs are of the most convenient, inexpensive ingredients for an easy dinner. And you’ll love how versatile this baked chicken drumsticks recipe is.
These chicken legs with a pop of earthy spices including oregano, coriander, and cumin, is something you find in a Mediterranean kitchen. Pair it with a nice French chardonnay, and youve got yourself a show-stopping entree–on a budget!
Like my popular lemon chicken thighs, this juicy chicken pairs well with tzatziki for dipping along with a number of salads and sides–from mustard potato salad, Greek fries baked zucchini or a big three bean salad
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Chicken Wings
Baked Chicken Legs Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 4 green onions, root ends trimmed, cut into thirds
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt , or season as desired
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 10 large chicken drumsticks
Scroll down for printable option .
Can I Use Chicken Thighs To Make This Recipe
Yes. You can use bone-in chicken thighs as well as legs and wings. When roasting/baking chicken, I prefer to use chicken with the skin-on. The skin serves as a layer of protection to prevent the meat from drying out.
You can make this recipe with bone-in skinless chicken thighs and legs also, but I suggest you baste the pieces once during cooking time.
Bone-in, skin-on chicken breast can be used but the baking time will need some adjustment.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Chicken Leg In Air Fryer
How To Cook Chicken Drumsticks
Chicken drumsticks can be cooked in a variety of ways. The most common way is to simply sear them in the oven or pan until they get a golden color. The next step would be to baste the drumsticks with butter, oil or more cooking oil. You can also bake them. For this method, you need to put the drumsticks in a baking dish, cover them with melted butter or oil, and then put them in the oven. You can also grill them. If you want to grill chicken drumsticks you can either turn your oven on and put the chicken in a cold oven or you can put them in a cold grill. But if you want to be healthier you can cook chicken drumsticks without turning the oven on or heating the grill. The best way to cook chicken drumsticks without turning on the oven or using the grill is to cook them in the microwave.
How To Make Baked Chicken Legs
Making this recipe follows a simple 2-step process. Ready to bake up some chicken?
Step 1- Marinade the chicken legs
Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, maple syrup or honey, minced garlic, salt, and spices.
Put the chicken legs into a small bowl and pour the marinade into the bag. Massage the chicken legs to infuse them with the flavors of the marinade.
Step 2- Bake the chicken
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the chicken legs from the bag and arrange them on the baking sheet.
Put chicken legs into the oven preheated to 200C/400F degrees. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken legs reach an internal temperature of 165F.
Don’t Miss: Grain Free Chicken Free Dog Food
How Long To Cook Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Baked chicken drumsticks take between 35 to 45 minutes when baked at 375 degrees. This cooking time is typically the same when baking at any temperature between 350 and 425 degrees. Keep in mind that cooking times will vary by oven. Chicken is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Helpful Tips For The Best Baked Chicken Legs
- Be sure to adequately season with salt in the marinade, we are using several pounds so theyll need a fair amount. The reserved sauce wont need very much.
- Use a dark baking sheet if you have one to encourage browning. Also roast one level up from the center.
- Still every oven is a little different so if you find they havent browned to your liking at the end then simply broil during the last few minutes, just keep a close eye on them.
- I recommend using larger chicken drumsticks here so you get more meat. It will also allow more baking and browning time to use larger ones.
- If you want crispy skin, hold the remaining marinade, if you want even more flavor use the extra reserved marinade .
- Test center of the legs to 165 near bone of thickest portion to ensure theyve cooked through.
- Soak the pan in water for easy clean up.
Read Also: Easy Recipe For Chicken Tortilla Soup
How To Prepare Chicken Legs For Baking
Your prep for oven roasted chicken legs is centered around encouraging air circulation to get them crispy.
- Prep the oven and pan. Preheat the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven safe rack over the sheet pan. I prefer foil rather than parchment paper for lining underneath the rack, because it catches the juices more easily.
TIP:The oven rack helps circulate the hot air around chicken, for the best baked chicken drumsticks that are nice and crispy!
- Dry the chicken. Pat the drumsticks with a paper towel, which will help get rid of any extra moisture and get them nice and crispy.
How To Make Baked Chicken Drumsticks Step By Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Decide what herbs and spices you want to use to season your drumsticks . I used a simple mix of 1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, tsp cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp oregano, ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper, and ½ tsp salt.
Place about 1.75 lbs. chicken drumsticks in a large bowl and drizzle 2 Tbsp of your preferred cooking oil over top.
Toss the drumsticks in the oil and spices until everything is evenly coated.
Arrange the chicken drumsticks on a baking sheet spaced out enough so they are not touching. You can line the baking sheet in parchment for easier cleanup if desired.
Bake the chicken drumsticks for about 40 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until the internal temperature reaches 175ºF.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Grilling Chicken Breast Bone In
Tips And Tricks For Making The Best Baked Chicken Legs
Here for the right pan: Because these guys are thick and saucy, youll want a sheet pan with high sides to keep all the juices in and large enough so the chicken isnt drowning in the sauce. To get the best caramelized texture, the chicken should stick out of the sauce a bit while cooking.Foil it up: Make sure you carefully line the pan with foil so you avoid a sticky mess during cleanup.Sauce, sauce everywhere: This sauce is so good you may be tempted to bathe in it. Fair warning. I recommend serving the chicken legs with rice and steamed vegetables, and douse those well in the sauce, too. Check the temperature: To make sure the chicken is actually done, use this affordable instant read thermometer. Better safe than sorry!Slow cooker friendly: Hallelujah, this recipe IS slow cooker adaptable. I use a ½ cup of ketchup, honey, and soy sauce instead of the portions in the instructions, and it turns out a little less sticky, but just as flavorful and heavenly.Slow cooker friendly: Hallelujah, this recipe IS slow cooker adaptable. I use a ½ cup of ketchup, honey, and soy sauce instead of the portions in the instructions, and it turns out a little less sticky, but just as flavorful and heavenly.
Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Drumsticks RecipeTin Eats. garlic cloves, brown sugar, fresh ginger, long-grain rice, paprika and 24 more. Pro. Mushroom Curry Roti Judy Joo. Snuk® Dried Curry Leaves, Mama Lams® Malaysian Curry Paste, roti and 10 more.
Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan 120°C/285°F/gas mark 1. Arrange the drumsticks in a dish in a single layer. Drizzle a bit of marinade over them to keep them moisturized. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Take the chicken out of the oven and increase the temperature to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
12 Pulled Chicken Recipes to Make At Home. Tender, juicy, and flavorful pulled chicken is perfect for BBQ plates, sandwiches, wraps, and so much more. Restaurant-worthy pulled chicken is easier to make at home than you think prepare it on the grill, in the oven, or with your countertop slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Related: Spicy chicken drumsticks, Oven-baked chicken drumsticks. Chicken Drumsticks Marinade. The best chicken drumstick marinade consists of spices, herbs, oil, sugar, and lemon juice, and this one contains all that in the right ratio. This marinade is easy to make taking less than 5 minutes to put together.
Also Check: How Much Are Chicken Nuggets At Mcdonalds
How To Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Legs
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
Youre just three steps away from crispy, juicy chicken legs!
What To Serve Along
I shared a few options earlier for what to serve with this lemon garlic chicken. And really, it’s the kind of thing you can serve with almost anything. Here are just a few ideas:
Sides:Italian roasted veggies, Roasted Cauliflower, Greek potatoes, Skillet Zucchini
If you like this recipe, you should also check out my baked chicken thighs recipe. Browse all Mediterranean recipes and our collection of Mediterranean diet recipes.
SHOP OUR ONLINE STORE FOR QUALITY OLIVE OILS, ALL-NATURAL SPICES AND MORE.
Read Also: Mcdonalds Crispy Chicken Sandwich Price
How To Make Baked Chicken Drumsticks:
These oven baked chicken legs are super simple and the seasoning blend is perfect!
Mix together the spices in a small dish.
Add your drumsticks to a plastic bag or large bowl and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle the seasoning on, seal the bag, and mush things around to coat the chicken.
Dump the chicken out onto a baking sheet and bake! The prep work here is so quick!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Leave room around each chicken leg when arranging them on the baking tray. The hot air circulating around the chicken legs will cook them evenly and make them crispy on all sides.
- Broil the chicken legs for a couple of minutes to make the skin extra crispy. But be careful not to burn it.
- If you have leftover marinade, brush it over the chicken legs while they bake to infuse them with more flavor and keep them moist.
You May Like: How To Cook Chicken In An Instant Pot
How To Bake Chicken Legs
- Bake. Cooking chicken legs at high heat will get them crispy, just how we want them.
TIP:For best results, flip the chicken legs halfway through baking, which will help them crisp up more and cook more evenly.
- Rest. Let the baked chicken drumsticks rest for 5 minutes before serving, which helps seal in the juices and ensure that they stay moist on the inside.
How Long To Bake Chicken Drumsticks
- Usually, about 35 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit should be enough.
- Make sure to check the meat before you take it out of the oven, the times might differ depending on the size of the pieces and on your oven, not all ovens heat the same way.
- Start checking after 30 minutes of baking time. You can use a meat thermometer, in this case, the internal temperature of the drumsticks should be 75 degrees Celsius/ 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Or you can check if its done by inserting a skewer or toothpick in the thickest part of the drumstick. The juices should run clear, no pink juices are allowed.
Read Also: What Percentage Of Dogs Are Allergic To Chicken