Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
So heres why we think this version is the best homemade soup from scratch
- Its chunky and well balanced, with plenty of protein, and veggies tucked between the noodles.
- We used bone-in chicken with skins and chicken broth, to intensify the chicken flavor. Using both makes a big difference.
- We also enhanced the broth by adding a little bit of turmeric for color, and cornstarch at the end to thicken the broth just a tad. Its not thick, mind you, and its not watery. Its just right!
- We focused on freshness with vegetables, herby essence, and a pop of lemon juice to brighten things up.
- We used dried noodles that feel homemade once they cook.
- And best of all, we did all this while taking out unnecessary steps, so the recipe isnt daunting.
We think its pretty awesome.
Turmeric Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
- Mirepoix: Green onions, carrots, celery
- Salt and Pepper to season veggies
- Tomatoes: Grape or cherry tomatoes will work.
- Broth: I like chicken bone broth for the extra nutrition, but regular broth is good too. Youll also need four cups of water and two bouillon cubes.
- Chicken: Buy chicken thighs or breasts.
- Spices: Turmeric and freshly grated ginger
- Vegetables: Zucchini and broccoli get added towards the end.
- Noodles: Find vermicelli rice noodles in the Asian section of your supermarket.
- Spinach: The spinach goes in the soup bowls, and you pour the hot broth over it.
- Lemon: I like to squeeze fresh lemon juice over this healing chicken soup.
The Best Seasoning Blend For Chicken Soup
If you make chicken soup quite often at home, it would be a good idea to mix up your own batch of seasoning. This can be kept in an airtight glass jar, and you can use some whenever you cook up chicken soup.
Here are the spices and the quantities you will need to make your own chicken soup seasoning,adjust the recipe to make a larger batch to keep in the pantry:
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
You May Like: Recipe For Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
Herbed Chicken Noodle Soup
Its that time of year when just about every single kid in school districts around the U.S. are suffering from cold and flu. AKA the absolute worst. I hate seeing my kiddos sick just as any momma does and this week my house got hit with an icky virus, including myself. So it was time to get some Herbed Chicken Noodle Soup made for the whole family!
In my opinion, a delicious bowl of chicken soup is another form of medicine to help alleviate symptoms. It provides your body with much-needed nourishment when your immune system has seen better days. Plus, its simply delicious flavors that are easy on the tummy which is nice.
To really kick up the healing properties of classic chicken soup, I doctored it up a bit I used nourishing bone broth . I also add a touch of ginger and turmeric which are also known for their immune-boosting properties. To richen up the broth for a fantastic touch of flavor, I cook my soup with a ton of fresh herbs. Sage, thyme, and rosemary add the most wonderful depth to the soup that I just adore. The best part? It just gets better with time so if you have leftovers, thats a great thing!
Sick or not sick, this Herbed Chicken Noodle Soup is just delicious and one that the whole family will just adore. In fact, Sutton liked it so much she asked if I could pack it in her school lunch tomorrow!
SHOP THE POST.
For more recipes like this, check out my Soups + Stews Recipe Round Up!
What Is In Chicken Noodle Soup
The ingredients in this soup are simple: chicken, carrots, celery, onions, noodles, broth, and herbs.
- CHICKEN: You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your own from chicken breasts or thighs.
- BROTH: The chicken broth is the base of this soup. I like to use Better than Bouillon Base because of its rich flavor. You could make your own homemade chicken broth if you want.
- VEGETABLES: Carrots, celery, and onion are the classic veggies in chicken noodle soup. Feel free to add your own.
- NOODLES: Homemade egg noodles do not take that long and take this soup to the next level! If youre running short on time, store bought egg noodles will work.
Dont Miss: Lipton Soup Pot Roast Recipe
Also Check: Air Fryer Chicken Tenders No Breading
What You Need To Make Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Broth or stock: Although they are slightly different, both chicken broth and chicken stock work in most soup recipes. You may use either homemade or store-bought, however, the key to any good chicken noodle soup is having a delicious broth. Typically made by simmering chicken in water with fresh herbs or spices, traditional chicken broth for chicken noodle soup is clear and light.
- Vegetables: The most common vegetables included in classic chicken noodle soup here in the US include a mixture of onion, celery, and carrots .
- Herbs: In this version, I left things super simple and only added a touch of fresh chopped parsley after the soup was finished cooking. Other popular herbs, dried or fresh, include oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- Noodles: Traditionally egg noodles are added as they have a higher egg to wheat ratio and, typically, hold up a little better in steaming bowls of hot chicken soup.
- Chicken: In this recipe, bone-in chicken pieces will be simmered in water until cooked. This will make the base chicken stock. The cooked chicken will be removed, the meat will be shredded from the bones, and the meat will be added back to the soup toward the end of cooking.
Tips For The Best Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Allow plenty of time for your milk and cream to come to room temperature before adding it to the pot of soup. Stirring cold dairy into a hot pot could cause the milk or cream to curdle.
- Gradually add the liquid to the pot, whisking constantly. Similar to making a gravy, this gives the flour time to absorb the liquid and helps to prevent lumps in your broth.
- Bring the liquid just to a low boil, and then reduce the heat immediately so that its at a gentle simmer. Do not let the pot vigorously boil, or the dairy could curdle.
- Dont overcook the noodles or they will become mushy in your soup. Add them to the pot just before youre ready to serve.
- Taste and season as you go. The total amount of salt necessary will vary depending on the saltiness of your broth, and on personal preference. Add extra salt for more flavor, and feel free to increase the other herbs and seasonings as well.
Don’t Miss: Air Fry Chicken Tenders Frozen
The Best Chicken Soup Seasoning Blend
Many cooks prefer to pre-prepare a blend of seasonings for a variety of dishes. You can save time in the kitchen by doing this for your chicken soup! Make up a large batch of this mix and keep it in your pantry in an airtight glass jar.
- 3 parts dried thyme
- 1 part onion powder
- ½ part garlic powder
Mix it all up in a bowl or mortar and pestle before storing in a glass jar. You can also use this seasoning mix for other chicken dishes!
The Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
When my body is tired and achy, or Im feeling a bit under the weather, I always throw together a big pot of this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. The aroma that fills my house as it cooks is absolutely soothing to the soul, and the from scratch flavor just cant be beat. Theres no bouillon here folks, because this chicken broth is the real deal. But dont worry, despite being made from scratch, this surprisingly simple and easy recipe makes the BEST homemade chicken noodle soup with very little hands-on time!
Images and prices updated 2-8-17
Don’t Miss: What Temp For Grilled Chicken
How To Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This soup is as easy as 1, 2, 3, and while it takes a bit of time, most of the time is hands-off while it simmers away!
Remove from heat and season with pepper . For a classic soup and sandwich combination serve with a grilled cheese or club sandwich.
Spicy Asian Chicken And Noodle Soup Recipe
Add chicken stock, chicken breasts, tomatoes and potatoes and of course some more white pepper and black pepper. Cover and simmer on low heat for 1.5 to 2 hours . Remove chicken and let cool and stand to shred. Add chopped parsley and return the shredded chicken to the soup.
Prep the vegetables: the onion, celery, carrots, bell peppers and potatoes. Remove the giblets from the chicken and pat dry with a clean paper towel. Place the whole chicken into a large soup pot. Add the chopped vegetables to the soup pot. Add water to the pot to cover the chicken and vegetables.
Step 2. Combine chicken stock, chicken meat, spinach, soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger in a large pot. Simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Step 3. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Cook ramen noodles for 3 minutes. Drain.
2 cups chicken broth 2 cups shredded chicken 2 cups cooked ditali pasta Instructions Dice celery, onion, carrots, potato and bell pepper into 1/4-1/2 pieces Heat dutch oven to medium high and add olive oil Once pan is hot, add celery, carrots, potato, onion and pepper. Saute for 5 min until vegetables start to soften
This satisfying Chinese-inspired spicy beef noodle soup is sure to become a favorite on cold evenings. The beef is cooked for hours in a garlic, chile pepper, ginger, star anise, and five-spice broth in a slow cooker. You only need to boil the noodles and bok choy when you get home after a hard days work. 6 of 29.
Also Check: Chicken Egg Colors By Breed
Ingredients Needed To Make This Recipe
We will be using a long list of veggies paired with a bunch of seasonings for a soup full of flavor and heartiness! The veggies are flexible, so feel free to mix and match amounts and types if youre trying to use up what you already have.
- Chicken: Start with 1 whole chicken. It should be around 3.5 to 4 lbs and will contribute to 10 1 cup servings of soup!
- Butter: Next, you will need 2 tbsp of butter. You can use olive oil if preferred.
- Veggies: For the veggies, prepare the following: 1 large onion, 5 stalks of celery, 5 large carrots, and 2 large parsnips. These load up the soup with bulk and flavor!
- Garlic: Season the soup by including 5 cloves of minced garlic. If you dont have fresh cloves, you can use 1 1/4 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Chicken broth: Bulk up the soup and add liquid with 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Water: Do the same with water, and add 8 cups.
- Seasonings: Seasonings are everything in chicken noodle soup! Add 1/4 cup of fresh, chopped dill, 1/4 cup of fresh, chopped parsley, 2 tsp of celery salt, and 1 tsp of pepper.
- Lemon juice: 2 tsp of lemon juice will add a dash of zingy flavor.
- Salt & pepper: Add extra salt and pepper to taste after simmering. I typically find that another 1/2 tsp or more of each does the trick!
- Egg noodles: As for the noodles, use 10 oz of your favorite egg noodles.
- Corn or peas: Last but not least, include 1 cup of either frozen corn or frozen peas!
Recommended Reading: Panera Soup Sold In Grocery Stores
How To Store Leftover Soup
I love to double my chicken noodle soup recipe to have for now and then stored in the freezer. It will be the one soup everyone is raving about this winter season! It makes it perfect for warming up on the cold winter days or when I know someone is not feeling well.
- In the refrigerator: Follow the recipe and let cool completely. Once your chicken noodle soup is cooled, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. When reheating you may need to add in more broth.
- Can you make chicken noodle soup ahead of time? Yes! I love this recipe for that. Simply make and cook your chicken noodle soup. I like to leave out the noodles if I know I am making ahead of time. I even chop my vegetables thicken so they wont be mushy or too soft while cooking for a longer period of time. This is a great way to make it in a slow cooker too.
- Can you freeze chicken noodle soup? Yes, this chicken noodle soup will freeze well. Follow the directions making the chicken noodle soup except skip adding in the noodles. Allow the chicken noodle soup to cool completely. Place in a ziplock bag and lay flat in the freezer. Make sure that you label the bag with the date! When ready to warm up then you can thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat then you can reheat iton the stove or in the microwave and add in the noodles at this time. This will last in the freezer for about one month.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Cook Chicken Breasts In The Oven
Ingredients For Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
- Carrots, celery, onion and garlic these fresh veggies build up the background flavor of the soup.
- Low sodium-chicken broth if you have homemade chicken broth it will make the soup even better. I like to keep a couple bottles stocked in the freezer. Store bought does work great too though.
- Fresh herbs thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley
- Egg noodles this is the quick cooking kind used here not the old fashioned. You can however use old fashioned but youll need to increase the cook time .
- Cooked rotisserie chicken you can buy this a day or two ahead and just store in the refrigerator.
- Olive oil youll only need a little for sautéing. I dont recommend a different type of oil the flavor of olive oil is perfect in this soup.
- Salt and pepper as always add to taste. Remember you can always add more salt later but you cant take it out once added so I like to start light.
- Lemon this just brightens up the soup and it pairs amazingly well with chicken but if you dont prefer to have the the very light tang you can omit it.
Best Spicy Asian Noodle Soup Recipes
In the meantime, bring a separate pot of water for the noodles to a boil, add noodles and cook for 1 minute less than the recommended cooking time on the bag. Drain the noodles and add to the pot of soup, turn off the soup, let stand 5 minutes and serve. Top each bowl with a sprinkling of chopped scallions.
Mala 4x spicy hot chicken flavor ramen. Layer 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup mushrooms, 1/2 cup spinach, 2 egg halves and 1/2 cup noodles in each jar. Our recipe starts out with the same intense process as our tonkotsu broth, but we also add nutty red miso and salty soy sauce.
Chicken noodle soup with ginger dumplings. For a detoxing chicken soup recipe add super ingredient turmeric. A truly comforting bowl to nourish the soul, ready in 30 minutes. Discover more of our best turmeric recipes here.
I knew at that time that I had to try and make this at home.The noodle soup is quite spicy in itself but what makes the soup stand out is the use of fresh ingredients. It is extremely simple to make and very heart warming and satisfying. A dish best suited for a cold winter night.
Theres no better cure for winter time blues than Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Soup! Only 6 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of prep time, this classic soup with a kick will become your new favorite go-to for colds and cold weather!
Don’t Miss: Chicken On The Gas Grill
What Else Goes In Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe is extremely forgiving in that you can add or take out whatever you like, dont like.
Vegetables: our recipe suggests green beans, corn kernels and spinach. You could also add zucchini, cabbage, pumpkin, sweet potato or potatoes and peas ! You can make it your own.
Noodles: I love using vermicelli egg noodles in our soup, but you can use thin spaghetti, angel hair, a fat noodle or any other type of pasta you like.
As with all cooking, remember to carefully taste test, then season with a little extra salt and pepper if needed.
You May Like: Cell Culture Freezing Medium Recipe
Easy Steps To Transform Your Pantry
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
Turmeric has become an important herbal ally in recent years, especially for those who have excess inflammation, such as arthritis, irritable bowel syndrome or old sports injuries. Turmeric root is in the same family as the more commonly found ginger and is a powerful natural anti-inflammatory. Colleen Codekas in Healing Herbal Infusions
Whether you grow your own turmeric as we do, or rely on a quality source for purchasing turmeric powder, its a great addition to soups and stews.
Read Also: How To Cook Chicken In The Oven Drumsticks