An Affordable Crock Pot Dinner
The slow cooker is one of my go-to kitchen appliances. I don’t care how many new shiny appliances come on the market, I still love my old faithful crock pot! This Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Meal is super easy with a small amount of ingredients but also super filling! You can cook it on low or high depending on your timeframe and you will have a delicious dinner at the end! This meal is perfect for those nights when you are super busy but still feel like a home-cooked meal. Chicken thighs are a much more affordable cut of chicken so this is definitely a bit more budget-friendly as well.
Ingredient Crock Pot Asian Chicken Thighs
These Crock Pot Asian Chicken Thighs feature juicy and rich meat covered in a brown sugar and soy sauce glaze. They are bursting with flavor and so easy to make!
For the longest time, I didnt eat any kind of dark meat.
On top of the extra fat and calories, I assumed the flavor would be off and worse than traditional white meat.
Boy, was I wrong. About the flavor at least!
Dark meat is so juicy and delicious has a richer flavor that white meat does.
Im so glad one of my best friends shared this recipe with my for Asian chicken thighs because it gave me an excuse to prepare some tasty dark meat.
My family loves this recipe and I know yours will too!
Can I Make Teriyaki Chicken Thighs In The Instant Pot
We love recipes that can be made both in the Instant Pot or the Slow Cooker. Teriyaki Chicken Thighs will work great for both.
Instant Pot Instructions:
Recommended Reading: Recipes With Boneless Chicken Tenders
What Ingredients Do I Need For This Juicy Chicken Thighs Recipe
You will need unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil. 8 bone-in chicken thighs, sea salt and black pepper to taste. Organic chicken broth, garlic cloves, finely minced, and half of a white onion, chopped.
Three large carrots cut into chunks, a pound of fingerling potatoes cut into chunks and a large lemon sliced.
If you are able to get fresh rosemary and parsley it is so much better than dried for this recipe.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs:
- I like to use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs when I make this recipe. I know that some people are hesitant to use skin-on chicken thighs because theyre higher in fat, but the skin makes a huge difference in terms of flavor and it keeps the meat extra moist.
- If youre working with boneless, skinless chicken thighs a perfectly acceptable option, by the way skip the browning and add the chicken right to the crockpot. Opt for a lower heat setting and 3-4 hour cook time on low in order to prevent accidentally overcooking the chicken.
- Alternatively, why not have the best of both worlds? Prepare the chicken thighs as instructed in the recipe and and remove the skin just before serving.
- Take the time to brown the chicken thighs. Work in two batches if needed. The chicken shouldnt touch or overlap. Dont disturb the chicken thighs as theyre browning, the skin will naturally shrink away from the pan when its reached the crispy stage.
- Make a gravy out of the liquid drippings left in the slow cooker. If you have a relatively small amount of liquid leftover you can simmer it in the crockpot on high heat until it thickens naturally. For a thicker gravy whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with ¼ cup of water or chicken stock until it forms a slurry. Turn the crockpot to high, stir the slurry into the remaining slow cooker liquid and whisk until the gravy thickens.
Don’t Miss: Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Crock Pot Chicken Thigh Recipes
While lean, quick-cooking chicken breasts are convenient to have on hand for family meals, you just can’t beat chicken thighs for their flavor, juiciness, and price. Chicken thighs maintain their excellent flavor and tenderness even when cooked for several hours in the slow cooker, while chicken breasts can become quite dry and tough.
As with most slow cooker chicken recipes, there’s usually no need to sear the chicken before you add it to the crock. However, browning the chickenespecially if the skin hasn’t been removedcan add flavor, color, and texture. If you have time, brown whole chicken thighs in a small amount of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
With only one bone running through the middle of chicken thighs, they’re easy to debone. Just make cuts on either side of the bone and remove it while scraping off any meat that might be adhering.
If you don’t cook with chicken thighs often, these crock pot recipes will make you a believer.
What To Serve With Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
This slow cooker chicken recipe is perfect served over fluffy rice . Spoon the chicken over rice, ladle some extra sauce over the top and garnish with sliced green onions and chopped cilantro.
As the sauce is slightly sweet I like to keep the sides fresh and simple like steamed broccoli, bok choy, snap peas or even steamed asparagus.
Don’t Miss: Calories For General Tso’s Chicken
Can I Freeze Chicken Thighs
When I buy chicken thighs in bulk, I like to separate them into gallon freezer bags in quantities for a meal. I also like to go ahead and pour the seasonings in the bag before I freeze them. This way, all I have to do is thaw the bag of chicken thighs and dump them in crock pot first thing in the morning. I can do that much even before I have coffee!
Chicken Thigh Cooking Times
Boneless Chicken Thighs.
- Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours
- Chicken thighs are less likely to dry out than chicken breasts, so you have flexibility to cook the chicken on high.
- Based on medium boneless chicken thigh with a weight of 4.5 ounces.
- Be sure to add or subtract time if your piece of chicken is smaller or larger.
Bone-in Chicken Thighs.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Based on medium bone-in chicken thigh with a weight of 5.5 ounces.
- Be sure to add or subtract time if your piece of chicken is smaller or larger.
Also Check: How To Make Breast Chicken
Instructions For Making The Chicken Thighs Crock Pot Dinner:
Now let’s make the meal!
All veggies should be a bite or two in size. Rough chop larger produce.
thighs in cast iron skillet, if your slow cooker has a sear or sauté function this can be done right in there
Brown the chicken in a frying pan
The first step is to blot the skin-on chicken thighs with paper towel to remove excess moisture, then season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
Brown the chicken thighs in a frying pan over medium high heat. Start by searing each chicken thigh skin side down, then flip. This step adds so much flavor, so don’t skip it.
Layer the Potatoes and Carrots in the Slow Cooker
Next, place a single layer of chopped potatoes topped by carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker and then top with seasonings.
Put the Chicken on Top
Now, arrange the nicely browned chicken thighs in the slow cooker, on top of the potatoes and carrots.
Add the Broth
Pour the broth into the slow cooker and put on cover. Simmer in the liquid on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Thicken the Sauce
Thicken the broth with cornstarch to make a sauce before serving. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Can I Freeze Mississippi Chicken
Yep, you sure can. To freeze, first, make the recipe according to the instructions listed in the recipe card. Let cool then place the chicken in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bags and freeze. When you are ready to use, place the chicken in a pot on the stove to reheat or in the crock pot on low until heated through.
Read Also: Chicken Breast Stove Top Recipes
Honey Garlic Chicken Ingredients
-Chicken Thighs: You will need 2 pounds of raw chicken, preferably skinless and boneless for the best results. If you prefer chicken breasts you can use those as well, reduce the cooking time by at least an hour to prevent it from drying out.
-Olive oil: You will need 2 tablespoons of olive oil for this recipe.
-Honey: Use 2 tablespoons of honey for a sweet sauce.
-Soy sauce: Using 2 tablespoons of soy sauce will make the sauce taste great with added flavor. You can also substitute coconut aminos for soy sauce if you like.
-Rice wine vinegar: You will need 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar.
-Garlic powder: 2 teaspoons of garlic powder will add more seasoning to this chicken recipe.
-Salt: Adding in a teaspoon of salt will help to enhance the flavors in this dish.
-Pepper: Use 1.2 teaspoon of pepper.
-Red pepper flakes: If desired you can add in a pinch of red pepper flakes for a nice kick of spice.
-Fresh ginger: 1 ounce of fresh ginger will make this chicken recipe taste incredible. You can use ground ginger or omit this if you prefer.
-Garlic: Use 3 cloves of minced garlic cloves for added flavor.
What Can I Use Besides Beer
If youre just not into beer and want an alternative, try the following:
- Skip the beer altogether and let the chicken simmer in its own juices
- Replace beer with chicken broth
- Replace beer with a gluten-free beer like Lakefront New Grist for a gluten-free recipe
You can store the fresh or frozen chicken thighs in the crockpot overnight or cook them right away. Cover the slow cooker with the lid.
Cook until the chicken registers an internal temperature of 165°F.
When the chicken comes out of the crockpot its ready to be served.
Pro Tip: For crispy skin, after slow cooking, place the chicken on to a baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown!
Read Also: Baking Chicken Legs And Thighs
Slow Cooker Chicken Thigh Variations
This honey garlic sauce is one of my personal favorites and it garners me a lot of compliments. You can add some other flavors to this great sauce for a little variety.
- Honey Ginger: Use 2 teaspoons of fresh minced ginger instead of the garlic.
- Honey Lime: Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice to the sauce.
- Sweet and Spicy: Add sriracha to the sauce to taste.
- Orange Chicken: Add 2 tablespoons of orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest to the sauce.
Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Thighs
We have all seen those golden, juice-dripping chickens spinning slowly on the rotisserie sticks when in town or on holiday and they make you hungry, right?
Well, you dont need to go out and purchase a full-blown rotisserie kit to get the same meal at home, a slow cooker will do the trick.
However, unlike other crockpot recipes, the key is that this one requires no liquid to be added.
As the chicken thighs cook the excess moisture evaporates and the outside of the chicken gets nice and crispy. Delicious.
One to try for Sunday lunch for sure.
Read Also: How To Grill Chicken Thighs
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
The ingredients are simple. I bet you have most of them at home already! Here is what youll need
- Olive or avocado oilto saute the onions
- 1/2 onion, diced We found that this needs to be sautéed in order to be done when the chicken is done. If not, youll have crunchy onions!
- Garlic cloves,minced Shortcut: 1-2 teaspoons pre-minced garlic
- Soy sauce Gluten-Free Option: Use coconut aminos or gluten-free Tamari Soy Sauce
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs You can also use boneless, skinless thighs!
- Cornstarch To thicken the sauce at the end.
Thats it! In fact, watch this short video to see how easily Teriyaki Chicken Thighs come together:
Tip : How To Get Crispy Skin
Tender chicken with a crispy outer coating is perfection. So lets make sure that happens.
Hint: The slow cooker is magical, but it has its limits. Crispy is not its strength, but thats okay. Dont worry crockpot. We still love you.
After chicken is done slow cooking, just broil the chicken in the oven for about 3-7 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on it.
- Chicken should be placed on a sheet pan. Make sure that it is lined with foil to prevent mess and sticking.
- In order to get the most effective broil, lightly cover chicken with olive oil.
- Make sure oven tray is set about 10 inches from the top heating unit.
- Broil 3-7 minutes until desired crispiness is reached, keep an eye on it to avoid burning
This extra and simple step is worth doing to add the perfect finish to your chicken.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do I Cook Chicken In The Air Fryer
Dump And Go Crock Pot Recipe
Finding a chicken thigh crockpot recipe that is healthy and easy is a dream, and now you have it.
It takes no effort at all, a one-pot creation that tastes as good as it looks and without the calories.
The kids will love the soft meat and wont even mind the spinach mixed in.
A comfort food dish that wont let you down and can be made just as easily in bulk for 2 nights meals sorted.
Get recipe: thefeatherednester.com
Tips For Perfect Crockpot Chicken
- Use enough chicken thighs to cover the bottom of your slow cooker. You can also use chicken breasts.
- All crock pots cook at different times and temperatures. Some readers suggest to only cook the chicken for 3 hours, while others said it took 4 hours in their crock pot.
- More importantly, 165 degrees Fahrenheit is the safe internal temperature for both the white meat of the chicken and dark meat.
About my story and this Honey Garlic Chicken in Crock Pot:
This one time at dinner, I had a HOT date at one of Chicagos best Asian restaurants, and because I knew the owner, I felt like, hey anything goes! The staff was super nice to me because I had that connection with their big boss, and I ended up taking advantage of it all. I was a hot shot, if you will, until I completely made a fool of myself because I could not stop slurping up the honey garlic sauce. I didnt totally pick up the plate, just a little bit, but enough to slurp up everything that was left on that plate.
As a result, and after I had that come-to-Jesus meeting with honey garlic sauce, I developed this hangry hunger for Honey Garlic Chicken because it is freaking delicious! Tender, moist, honey garlic chicken coated in the most glorious homemade honey garlic sauce!
Take out the ketchup, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and chicken thighs things are about to get amazing!
Recommended Reading: Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs Baking
How To Make The Best Mississippi Chicken Sliders
The first thing I changed was to use skinless chicken thighs instead of beef. I love using chicken thighs in the crock pot. They always turn out tender, juicy, and work well with any type of seasonings.
The second thing I did was to ditch the au jus packet of flavoring that most other recipes use. Im not a fan and honestly didnt think it went well with the chicken. To give my recipe an additional something something I did throw in extra ranch seasoning and a few red chili flakes to amp up the spice.
To top things off, I turned this crazy good recipe into sliders! After I cooked the chicken, I shredded it, piled it on Hawaiian rolls slathered with spicy mustard and mayo, topped it with cheese, and brushed on butter flavored with ranch seasoning. I baked the sliders until they were golden brown on the top and the cheese was ooey-gooey and melted.
How To Store Leftover Crockpot Chicken Thighs:
Cooked leftover slow cooker chicken thighs can be stored in a resealable container for 3-4 days. To freeze leftover chicken thighs, remove meat from the bone and store in a resealable freezer bag for up to 4 months for optimal freshness.
To defrost cooked chicken thighs transfer to the fridge and allow to thaw overnight before using.
Also Check: Chicken Nuggets In An Air Fryer
Pesto Ranch Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
Anything covered in pesto in our house will always go down well, and even more so when it comes to the unique taste of pesto.
It is refreshing when tossed through a salad, but bakes so well when served hot.
Throw the skinless chicken thighs and other ingredients into the slow cooker, cover with the pesto sauce, and job done.
Come back a few hours later and dinner will be ready, it couldnt be easier if we tried.
A light dish that is effortless, a winner in my book.
Get recipe: picky-palate.com
What You Need To Make Crockpot Chicken Thighs
Im all about simple, yet delicious. If a dish doesnt have these two components, then Im out.
So, with that said, dont let the list of ingredients for this recipe intimidate you. A large list of ingredients does not always mean the dish is time consuming, expensive, or hard.
A lot of these ingredients you probably already have on hand and there is nothing weird or obscure on the list. So rest assured, the list, while a tad longer, is still easy peasy.
What You Need:
- Dried Oregano
And there you have it. It is pretty simple, and easy to make these delicious Crock Pot Chicken Thighs.
You May Like: What’s General Tso’s Chicken