Why Marinate Chicken Thighs
Super juicy: this chicken thighs marinade will leave your chicken extra juicy and tender!
Sweet and salty: if you love a sweet and salty combo, then this marinade is for you.
Bake or grill: this honey mustard chicken marinade is delicious cooked on the grill or in the oven. Were giving instructions for each!
How Long To Marinate Chicken:
- At least 1 hour
- No longer than 2 days
If Im using a ziptop bag, I place it on a half sheet pan in the refrigerator for at least an hour, but hopefully overnight so the chicken has plenty of time to soak up all that goodness.
Every few hours, Ill turn the bag from one side over to the other to keep the chicken coated with the marinade.
Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs Pro
- Trim excess fat from the chicken thighs – Rastelli’s chicken thighs come nicely trimmed, but if your chicken thighs have excess fat on them you may want to trim it. This will help the chicken to cook evenly and for the chicken not to shrivel up as it cooks.
- – the longer you let the chicken sit in the solution, the more flavor it will impart onto the meat. At a minimum, marinate the chicken for 30 minutes – 2 hours. For optimal flavor, marinate for 12 – 24 hours.
- Scrape the grill grates before heating up the grill – removing any old burnt food bits from the grill before preheating protects the flavor of the chicken and keeps any burnt food chunks from sticking to the chicken.
- Drain/discard the marinade – the solution imparts plenty of flavor into the chicken so we won’t need to reuse it in the recipe. If you’d like, you can pour the marinade over the chicken as it cooks, but you can also just discard it after adding the chicken to the grill.
- Rest the chicken before serving – this allows the chicken juices to redistribute in the meat, making it more tender and succulent. Let the chicken rest at room temperature for at least 5 minutes. If you are concerned about keeping the chicken hot, you can tent the chicken with foil or cover it with a bowl or plate while it rests.
Also Check: Dave’s Hot Chicken Northridge
What’s Great About This Recipe
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are lean, but the dark meat is still tender and juicy.
- Boneless skinless thighs cook up quickly on the grill, just 10 minutes.
- The simple lemon herb marinade is easy to make but imparts a ton of flavor.
- Grilling the chicken thighs gives them a delicious smoky flavor and beautifully browned exterior.
- These are so versatile! You can serve them as appetizers for your summer barbecues, or grill some veggies alongside the chicken for a delicious family dinner.
- Chicken thighs are an economical cut of chicken, making this recipe a budget friendly choice.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Chicken Thighs
Boneless skinless chicken thighs will cook in about 6-7 minutes per side on the grill or in a pan on the stove. You can bake boneless skinless thighs at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs will bake at 400 degrees F for about 45 minutes. You can also use a meat thermometer to gauge when your chicken is done. The chicken should register at least 165 degrees F to be safe to eat.
Recommended Reading: Best Grilled Chicken Recipes Ever
How Long To Cook Chicken Thighs
Knowing how long to cook chicken thighs really depends on a few things. What size they are and how you are cooking them. If you plan on grilling the chicken thighs a good rule of thumb is 14-16 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Whether using bone-in or boneless chicken thighs, place them on the grill grates on direct heat for about 3 minutes. Then slip them to grill on the other side for 3 more minutes. After searing move to indirect heat to finish cooking. If you want more detail, you can find out more in this article, How Long to Cook Chicken on a Charcoal Grill.
Baking chicken thighs with the bone-in at 450 degrees Fahrenheit will take approximately 25-30 minutes to reach a safe temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Take the skin off and the bone out and it will take just 20-25 minutes to cook.
Tips For Grilling Spicy Chicken
- If you are using a smaller cut of meat , make sure you dont let the thinnest bits of your chicken hang through the grill grate. Use your grill tongs to set them on the grill, being careful not to move them around too much, and you should be fine. The same goes for when its time to turn the meat over.
- Flame ups happen, so dont panic! The more oil/fat and liquid content there is in a marinade, the more it will drip off the chicken, and the more frequently youll get flame ups on the grill. This is another reason that I recommend skinless chicken thighs instead of skin-on.
- Those flames actually give you some beautiful char-grilled flavor, and enhance the grill marks. But if this were a thicker cut , those flames would absolutely destroy the outside of the chicken before the inside had a chance to cook through
- Stop peeking! The more you lift the lid to check-in, the more heat will escape. Decide that you are going to cook for X minutes a side, set your timer, and leave it be until its time.
- Instead of trying to constantly eyeball your meal, instead, get yourself a meat thermometer to verify after the fact that your meat is cooked through. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit to be considered done.
- If you overcook chicken and it comes out too dry, you can always make it into chicken salad, and try again. But trust me, its difficult to make a chicken thigh too dry!
Also Check: Sam’s Club Chicken Alfredo Cooking Instructions
Tips For The Best Chicken Thigh Marinade Recipe
- Make Ahead: if possible, marinate the chicken thighs overnight. This will yield the most tender, juicy meat. At a minimum, let the chicken sit in the marinade for 2-3 hours.
- Use fresh herbs for the best flavor. If you don’t have access to fresh rosemary or oregano, it’s fine to use a smaller amount of the dried herbs instead.
- The total cooking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken and on the temperature of the meat when it goes into the oven or onto the grill. As a result, a meat thermometer is always the best way to know when your chicken is done. It will be perfectly tender and juicy when it reaches 165° F.
How Long To Bake Marinated Chicken Thighs
How long to bake marinated chicken thighs is based on factors such as using bone in chicken thighs or boneless chicken thighs, the size of the thighs, and the temperature being cooked.
For How long to cook bone-in marinated chicken thighs in the oven is between 45-50 minutes at a temperature of 400F/ 200C.
How long to bake marinated boneless chicken thighs in the oven is between 25 – 30 minutes.
It’s best to check if the chicken is cooked by using a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. If when the thermometer is inserted at the thickest part of the chicken it reads at least 165F/74C, then it is cooked.You can also cut open the chicken to visually check the inside. If there is no blood or pinkiness around then it is cooked.
You May Like: Crockpot Shredded Chicken For Tacos
Final Thoughts On Marinating Your Chicken
Whether you just add some salt, opt for typical marinades many people use, or choose uncommon and original marinades, you can transform your chicken dish into an extraordinary meal.
Now that you know how not to overdo chicken marination, the marination process is simple. Keep in mind that you don’t have to let your chicken stay in a marinade for days to achieve rich flavors it can be just a matter of hours.
You can be creative with your ingredients and create a new recipe from your favorite food seasoning spices. Have that unique secret blend and surprise your friends. Whatever you choose, pay attention to how long you leave the chicken meat to marinate.
Easy Chicken Thigh Marinade
Everybody loves chicken thighs and with this simple marinade using ingredients you likely already have in your pantry, you can marinate chicken and then airfry, bake or grill it! An easy weeknight recipe for chicken thighs that also makes for the best leftovers. This recipe is the perfect blend of sweet and savory, and pairs so well with the dark meat of chicken thighs.
Read Also: Air Fryer Chicken Tenders No Breading
Want More Browning And Crisping On Your Chicken Skin
Bake on the top rack and bast at least once during cooking. This will help create that delicious crispy skin that is browned to perfection. Just 25-30 minutes at 450 degrees.
Basting Chicken Thighs. Pro Tip. If you have the time, baste the thighs in the pan juices at least once during cooking, it will keep the meat moist and help the skin brown.
The Best Chicken Marinade Recipe
Chicken 10 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Best Chicken Marinade Recipe An easy chicken marinade that comes together in minutes for the best grilled chicken or baked chicken youve ever tasted!
For years now, weve used this simple grilled chicken marinade that I quickly throw together when grilling chicken. It uses ingredients that youll most likely have on hand. If not, I urge you to buy them the next time you are at the grocery store, along with your favorite cuts of chicken and make it! It makes the perfect marinade for the BEST grilled chicken Ive ever had!
Read Also: Beer Can Chicken Pellet Grill
How Long You Should Marinate Drumsticks
How often do you find marinated drumsticks? Chicken legs are some of the sensitive and delicate parts for marinating. However, with my help, you can marinate your drumsticks properly.
To achieve the sweet spot, you should marinate these delicate meats for under 2 hours.
Chicken legs make up dark meat, and you shouldnt marinate them for more than 12 hours.
If you keep the drumsticks in a marinade for too long, they may over-marinate and start falling apart.
The marinating process should be short, and you should opt for mild marinades. Lactic acid marinades and little salt may give that additional flavor you are looking for.
I suggest marinating your drumsticks a few minutes before cooking them. And during cooking, use indirect heat to achieve the best results.
|4 hours to 12 hours|
Meal Prep Tools For This Recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on using these chicken thigh marinades for meal prep lunches or dinners.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through.
- Use these Ziploc bag holders if you’re marinating the chicken then freezing it.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
You May Like: Cook Chicken Thighs In Oven
Grilled Chicken Marinade Recipe
Having a great grilled chicken marinade in your back pocket is essential for summer grilling. This delicious chicken marinade packs a flavor punch without being overpowering, and its great with any kind of chicken, especially these grilled chicken thighs!
Food just tastes better when its been cooked outside. You can throw just about anything on the grill, from steak and potatoes to veggies and even bread. How about turning this chicken marinade into a delicious Grilled Chicken Sandwich?
Simplest Best Chicken Thigh Marinade
Marinating chicken isnt mandatory from a health and safety standpoint, but for the best-tasting results, it is best to marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
After 12 hours, the meat will start to break down, especially if you use citrus juice in the marinade.
A good marinade needs a combination of 5 key elements: salt, spice, sweet, acid, and umami.
Herbs are also a nice addition, but not strictly necessary.
This recipe is a go-to simple chicken thighs marinade when you want to serve chicken thighs as a main dish and want something more spice-forward.
- It hits all the key marinade elements.
- I usually have everything I need to make it on hand.
- The combination of sweet, spicy, and tangy ingredients gives the thighs impressive complexity.
To prepare chicken thighs, simply mix the marinade ingredients together, let the chicken rest in the marinade for 30 minutes or up to 12 hours, then follow my Grilled Chicken Thighs recipe or bake as you please. Its that simple!
Read Also: Easy Chicken Breast Crockpot Recipes With Few Ingredients
These Chicken Thighs Can Be Baked Air Fried Or Grilled Heres How To Cook Them All 3 Ways
Air Fryer: Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Spray basket with nonstick, and place chicken thighs in air fryer basket. Cook for roughly 15 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit at its thickest point.
Bake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with foil, and spray with nonstick. Place chicken onto foil lined pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Chicken is done once it reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit at its thickest point. *For a charred exterior, remove chicken once it is almost fully cooked, and turn broiler on. Place chicken back into oven for 2 minutes .
Grill: Preheat grill to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Place chicken on grill, and flip over at the 10 minute mark. Continue to cook for additional 10-12 minutes. Chicken is fully cooked once it reaches 165 degrees internally.
If you are a fan of chicken recipes, heres a few more of our favorites:
- 1tbspbrown sugar
Honey Soy Baked Chicken Thighs
- 1/4cuplow sodium soy sauce
- 1/4cupfinely chopped green onions
- 2tablespoonscooking oilvegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 1/2tablespoonsgarlicminced
- 1tablespoonwhite vinegar
- 1teaspoonsesame oilOPTIONAL
- 3/4teaspoonfresh minced ginger
- 2 1/2pounds chicken thighs
- Salt and pepperto season
- Fresh chopped parsleyto garnish
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick Fancy Nancy Chicken Salad
Best Chicken Marinade Recipe
Years ago, we made grilled chicken legs using this marinade when my sister-in-law Karen, her husband Todd, and their three boys were on an RV trip with us. I knew that our son loved it and hoped that their boys would as well. We wont even talk about how much chicken we got all of the kids to eatso lets just say they loved it as much if not even more than Id hoped!
In all seriousness, Ive not fed anyone chicken made with this marinade that hasnt loved it.
How Long To Marinade Chicken
You can marinate chicken from 30 minutes up to 24 hours. If you are in a hurry, you can mix up your marinade ingredients, cover the chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Put them in the oven to bake and they will have a pretty good flavor.
However, for best results, if you have the time to let them marinate for a few hours or overnight, they will have a deep flavor and the meat will be tender and juicy too.
If you plan ahead for dinner, in the morning, mix up your marinade and cover the chicken. Pop it in the refrigerator. When you are ready for dinner, cook them up by frying, baking, air frying, or grilling. Yum.
Recommended Reading: Recipes For Air Fryer Chicken Wings
How Long Do I Cook Chicken Thighs In The Oven And What Temperature
Bake boneless skinless thighs at 425°F for 20-25 minutes, turning them twice while baking to ensure they stay juicy while baking. Lastly, broil under high heat to get charred edges for 5 minutes.
Baked chicken thighs should have an internal reading of 165°F .
Be sure to check out our page to see our delicious food videos!
How Long Does It Take To Grill Chicken Thighs
In this recipe, I’m using boneless chicken thighs, which will take about 7 to 10 minutes cooked over medium-high heat. Bone-in chicken thighs will take anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes, depending on how large they are. Chicken is fully ready to serve when its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
You May Like: Baking Chicken Legs And Thighs
Can I Marinate Chicken For Too Long
For the most part, you shouldn’t plan on marinating your chicken for longer than 24 hours. However, the USDA’s website indicates that you can safely marinate chicken for up to 48 hours.
Past that, however, you’re going to risk turning your chicken into a mushy mess. Just remember, the longer the chicken is left in the marinade, the more the fibers in the meat break down.
Overall, meat tenderization is a positive, but there’s a limit to all things. In fact, marinades with high acidity may actually end up toughening chicken that has been left too long. For that reason, it’s arguable that a quick soak is the best way to marinate chicken, especially if you’re using a cut like chicken breasts, which contain less fat.
Best Chicken Thighs Marinade
Say hello to the best chicken thighs marinade youll ever taste! Its made with a few of our favorite things: 2 kinds of mustard, honey, lemon juice and soy sauce to name a few.
If youre big into grilling like us, you know that having good marinades on hand is clutch because they infuse your meat with juicy flavors. Our steak marinade and pork tenderloin marinade are also great ones to keep in your back pocket!
Recommended Reading: Italian Chicken Recipes With Pasta