Power Air Fryer Chicken Wings
If you are lucky enough to have a Power Air Fryer, it just takes 20-25 minutes to cook a batch of wings. To get the crispiest skin, make sure to dry the wings before placing them in the basket. Set the temperature at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 20-25 minutes. Shake the wings every 5 minutes. At 20 minutes start checking the skin for the desired crispiness. Use a meat thermometer to make sure that your wings in the center are 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prep The Chicken Wings
Start with 2lbs chicken wings that have been broken down into drumettes and wingettes. Or, as I mentioned, you can buy whole wings and break them down yourself.
Add the chicken wings to a gallon-sized Ziplock bag or a large bowl then add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil plus a pinch of salt, and 2 scant Tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning. I prefer Tones Lemon Pepper Seasoning Blend.
Lemon Pepper might seem like an unexpected choice for chicken wings but it is PERFECTION trust me!
Seal the bag keeping the air trapped inside then shake to coat, or stir to coat if youre using a bowl. You can now either use the wings right away, or press the air out of the bag and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Reasons Youll Love These Wings
Wingin It This easy recipe is perfect for those times when you just need to whip up something fast for dinner, but dont want to disappoint.
Frozen to Fantastic Just stick your favorite brand of chicken wings in the air fryer, coat it in the delicious buffalo wing sauce and voila!
Super Simple It only takes 35 minutes to make, and most of that time is spent waiting for those wings to crisp up in the air fryer.
Fan Favorite This awesome wings recipe is the real deal and is bound to become a favorite recipe amongst everyone in your household!
Game Day Ready In need of some quick and easy hot wings for football season? Look no further than this air fryer chicken wings recipe.
Also Check: Air Fry Thin Chicken Breast
Why I Love Air Fryer Wings:
- Faster than the oven: my oven baked wings are amazing, but they can take 30 minutes to an hour to cook and get that great crispy skin. Wings in the air fryer only take about 20 minutes!
- Crispy Skin: Like my other air fryer recipes, you end up with a crispy product thats just as good as if it were truly fried, without the extra calories!
- 5 minute prep!
Making Air Fryer Chicken Wings In Advance
- Giving your wings a full 24 hours to marinate will ensure optimal flavor. Leave them in a plastic storage bag overnight and simply pop in the air fryer when youre ready to eat.
- Freezing for later. Make a batch of air fryer chicken wings. Allow them to completely cool. Line them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Pop the baking sheet uncovered into the freezer. Once completely frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe plastic bag. Frozen wings should stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Reheat Leftovers: Reheat cooked chicken wings in an air fryer at 360°F for 4 minutes. Turn the heat to 400°F and cook for 5 more minutes. This will bring the chicken to its original crispy state.
Also Check: 5 Brothers Chicken And Waffles
Side Dishes To Serve With Air Fryer Wings
If you’re making spicy wings, add fresh celery and carrot sticks to counteract the heat from the buffalo sauce.
Make your air fryer chicken wings into a healthy and filling meal by serving with baked beans and creamy coleslaw.
Create a knockout air fryer appetizer spread that will impress the guests at your next party or tailgate! An ultimate appetizer spread is easy to make in the air fryer!
Pair chicken wings with air fryer meatballs, air fryer pickles, and air fryer mozzarella sticks. I also really like making Air Fryer Potato Skins when I make wings. It’s a bar food feast!
Lemon Pepper Dipping Sauce
- Butter: It goes without saying that butter makes everything better, especially when it comes to wings! Alternatively, you can use ghee if youre dairy-sensitive.
- Honey: It adds a hint of sweetness to balance out the bright lemon flavors.
- Lemon Juice & Zest: This combination will add a fresh lemon touch to these wings.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning: Just one more teaspoon of this for ultimate lemon pepper goodness!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
Read Also: Tyson Buffalo Chicken Strips Air Fryer
How To Make Air Fryer Asian Chicken Wings:
**scroll down for full ingredients list and printable directions**
- First prep the chicken wings.
- If you have full wings, separate them into drums and flats.
- Make sure they are defrosted.
- Pat them dry completely dry .
- Preheat the Air Fryer at 350 F degrees for 2 minutes.
- Add the asian chicken wings in a single layer to the air fryer , and cook for 9 minutes at 350 F degrees.
- After the timer goes off, open and carefully flip over the chicken wings. Using the remaining marinade, brush the wings liberally with the sauce.
- Close the air fryer and change temp to 400 degrees F, and cook for 7 minutes. When the time is up check the internal temperate of the wings using a digital thermometer– they should be at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken wings, and set aside.
What to serve with Air Fryer Asian Chicken Wings:
Can I bake these Chicken Wings?
Yes, however it takes much longer to get them crispy. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place the wings on a single layer on a baking sheet . Bake for 30 minutes, then flip and cook another 15-30 minutes depending on desired crispiness.
Ingredients For Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
You’ll need these simple ingredients:
- chicken wings, fresh or frozen
- baking powder, gluten-free
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- chipotle powder
Tip: You can play around with the different seasonings and flavor profiles and still get awesome results! Use a little garlic salt or make lemon pepper wings or add your favorite dry rub blend to create air fryer buffalo wings.
Essentially, this basic recipe is really easy to change up with your spices of choice. Just be sure to include the baking powder if you’d like to enjoy the crispiest wings.
You May Like: Big Jj Fish And Chicken
Tips For Extra Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Below, find a couple of tried-and-true tips for making extra crispy air fryer chicken wings.
- Always spray the basket. Give the air fryer basket a generous coating of cooking spray before popping your wings in. This will prevent them from sticking and burning. You dont need too much oil, just enough so that the entire tray is covered. Remember, the air fryer works a lot of magic with very little oil!
- Start the temperature low and then go high. Begin cooking chicken wings at a lower temperature and then turn up the heat to achieve maximum crispiness. This is much like the effect a broiler has in your conventional oven.
- Toss crispy wings in your favorite sauce. From buffalo sauce to bbq sauce, toss your wings in whatever you love. Just make sure to do it right when they come out of the fryer, as the sauce will stick better.
- Reheat leftovers in the air fryer. If you happen to have any leftovers, reheat them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes. They will taste fresh as new.
- Pat wings dry before seasoning. To ensure the seasoning sticks, pat raw wings with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This will also help them crisp up nicely.
Give avocado oil cooking spray a go. If you havent tried avocado oil cooking spray, this recipe is an awesome time to try it out. It has a wonderful, nutty flavor and it stands up to high heat well.
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Toss the wings with the oil in a large bowl. Sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, baking powder, pepper and salt and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer of the air fryer.
Set the air fryer to 400°F and cook wings for 15 minutes flip and cook another 5 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, make the dip. Stir together the yogurt, feta , mustard, honey and parsley in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
Submerge celery and carrots in a bowl of cold water and refrigerate.
Also Check: Chicken Breast Stove Top Recipes
Why Air Fryer Chicken Wings With Baking Powder
The baking powder is the best way to get the chicken skin extra crispy without any sort of breading or flour mix. You’ll just need a little bit, along with a few other spices to make an easy dry rub.
While these are dry wings, you can always incorporate your favorite wing sauce for dipping like hot sauce, buffalo sauce, blue cheese dressing, barbecue sauce or this five-minute keto ranch dressing.
More reasons to love this air fryer chicken wings recipe? It’s also super easy and a healthy recipe to keep in your back pocket!
These wings are:
- juicy, tender and extra crispy wings
- seasoned perfectly with just the right amount of salt, garlic, and a bit of optional chipotle for the tiniest amount of heat
- an easy recipe
- gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, and keto diet friendly
These wings are some serious eats for dinner, game day and any other occasion you deem wing-worthy.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Wing Recipe
Pat the chicken wings dry. Use paper towels for best results.
If you plan on adding seasoning, place wings in a mixing bowl. Coat in 1 Tablespoon of oil, then sprinkle on your favorite seasoning. Toss to evenly coast with the seasonings.
Place the wings in the air frying basket in an even layer. Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes, flip the wings over and cook for another 8 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Also Check: Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs Baking
Do I Add Flour To Air Fryer Wings
There are suggestions I’ve seen to add flour, baking soda, or even baking powder to the wings to get them crispy. I’m here to tell you that you do NOT need to add any flour or powder to the wings. It doesn’t do much to make them crispier, it only adds a coating to the outside.
Plain wings with just a small amount of oil and seasonings get the crispiest.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Chicken Wings
First off, youll want to whip up some homemade sauces. Light ranch is great for buffalo wings. Dont forget to cut up some strips of carrots and celery to dip in the ranch as well. You could also make a homemade BBQ sauce with just a few ingredients you likely already have hanging around in your kitchen.
To make a well-rounded meal, pair your wings with air fryer french fries or a homemade caesar salad.
You May Like: How To Season Grilled Chicken
Recipe Pro Tip For Adding Spices To Frozen Wings
When using the frozen wings, it is harder to get the spices to stick once they have been partially cooked. Therefore, it is a good idea to remove them from the air fryer and place in a bowl. It is easier to get the seasonings to stick if you give them a toss with the seasonings in the bowl, then add them back to the air fryer and continue cooking.
Storing Freezing And Reheating Instructions
- To Store- Leftover wings can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To Freeze- Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for 6 months.
- Reheating- Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
How To Separate Whole Chicken Wings
Your local grocer or butcher may sell chicken wings already separated. If so, that’s great as it’s a big time saver!
But if not, it doesn’t take much effort to separate whole chicken wings yourself.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
Tip: Save the wing tips in the freezer for the next time you make chicken stock or soup!
How To Make Super Crispy Wings In The Air Fryer
Use Baking Powder: I learned this trick years ago and it has been my favorite way to get crispy skin-on chicken wings. This Magic Ingredient raises the PH level in the chicken wings and makes them SUPER crispy. Just be sure the baking powder you are using is aluminum-free.
Pat the chicken dry: Be sure the wings are completely dried through. This will help the baking powder stick to the skin and result in a super crispy texture
No Oil Needed: This is my absolute favorite part about air frying chicken wings. Thats right, no oil needed. The oil from the chicken wings will break down and when combined with the salt and baking powder, will form a crunchy crust that is to die for.
Air-frying Method: The wings are first air-fried on medium heat to cook the interior and then the heat is turned up to 400F+ to acrisp up the skin. The result is chicken wings that are soft and tender on the inside and super crispy on the outside.
Dont over-lap: Spread the wings out so they dont overlap. Giving the wings enough room will allow them to cook evenly and crispy all around. Using a large air-fryer will allow you to achieve the best results in just 1 round. This is our favorite air-fryer for large batches.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
- Knife Block Set. Ergonomic and with a broader blade curve for easy rocking cutting, this knife set is worth every penny!
- Kitchen Tongs. These 16-inch tongs easily reach deep into the air fryers basket.
- Glass Mixing Bowls. With 10 different stackable sizes and easy to wash, theyre ideal for tossing or dipping air fryer chicken wings recipe in any type of sauce.
Tips For Cooking Chicken Wings In An Air Fryer
Just like the delicious wings we cooked up in an Instant Pot, air fryer wings start with thawed chicken and end with a variety of sauces and rubs for dipping and flavor.
When cooking wings in an air fryer, Chef Dan recommends not overcrowding the basket, and to cook in batches if needed.
You should also pat the wings dry before cooking and as an option, you can add an extra layer of crispness by spraying the wings with cooking spray before air frying.
If you plan on saucing the air fryer wings, you can toss them in sauce or dip them once the wings are finished cooking. We recommend choosing from among our wide variety of sauce offerings like Korean Gochujang, Ghost Pepper Ranch, Teriyaki, and Bourbon BBQ to add an unparalleled depth of flavor to your air fryer wings.
If you are using a rub or spice, youll want to rub a little olive oil on the chicken wings first , then add the spice or rub to the wings before air frying. Some of our favorite dry seasonings we think you should add to your wings include our popular Lemon Pepper and Cajun spice mixtures.
Of course, no wings feast would be complete without picking up some delicious Buffalo Wings & Rings sides to go. Popular choices like our Bacon Mac & Cheese, Onion Rings, Saratoga Chips, Tater Tots, and Natural Cut Fries pair perfectly with air fryer wings!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Faqs
How long does it take to cook wings in an air fryer?
In just 15-20 minutes these wings are ready to serve! The exact cook time will depend on the size of your chicken wings and how full your air fryer is. Your best bet is to check every 5 minutes until they are done.
Can I skip the oil?
Technically, yes. But if you really want crispy and flavorful chicken wings, the oil is key. The oil allows the seasoning and corn starch to adhere to the chicken wings and give them that crispy coating. Without it, they may be seasoned but they definitely wont be as crispy.
What type of sauce is good with air fryer chicken wings?
Classic Buffalo sauce is always a good bet, but this Homemade BBQ Sauce or the sauce from this Honey Garlic Chicken would be amazing!
How to store cooked chicken wings:
In the unlikely case that you happen to have leftovers, they can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to three days.To reheat, simply preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees and cook until heated through, 4-5 minutes.
What kind of air fryer is best?
That depends on what your family enjoys. This recipe was made in an 8 quart Chefman air fryer and we love it! It works great. But I havent tried them all, obviously
Can I cook frozen chicken wings in the air fryer?
Absolutely! They will take a little more time, though. Simply toss in oil and seasoning as the recipe calls for, and cook for 20-30 minutes, checking every 5-10 minutes until done.